Monday, September 19, 2011

3 Reasons Social Media Isn't Enough


I never thought I'd write this.

A couple of years ago, heck even last year I wouldn't have said this.

Because I am one of the lucky ones.

Ever since the 2003, when I launched the first of the multiple blogs I operate, I have been an ambassador for Social Media.

The truth is, I still am.

But with a few precautions.

Today, the first reason from Robert Flemming, CEO of eMarketingAssociation.com:

1. YOU DON’T OWN IT: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter are companies that are managed by people that you don’t control. Insofar as your pages, groups and followers go you are at the mercy of another companies infrastructure.

Yes, my friend and now co-worker Kevin Mullett and others warned me about this.

And like I said, I've been lucky.

I haven't had an important account disappear or blog posts disappear. But I have recently bought my own domains and am in the process of backing up around 10,000 blog posts.

But here's what it means to your business or personal brand.

If your only online existence is on Facebook, the real brand you are promoting is Facebook, not yours.

Look at your Facebook page.

See all the Facebook stuff that has nothing to do with you?

They get to do that because they own your Facebook pages.

The answer?

Get your own website.

Fork over the bucks for a domain, for hosting, for designing and even better... if you are serious about your business, hire a real company with real credentials to guide and direct you.

(Quick plug, This is one of the services my company does, so contact me via email: SHoward@CirrusABS.com or 260.255.4357).

Tomorrow, reason number 2.


ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment