Tuesday, September 20, 2011

3 Reasons Social Media Isn't Enough (Part 2)


Yesterday I said I am one of the lucky ones.

My use of Social Media in the form of Blogs, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, and dozens of other platforms started as a form of self expression and sharing with others.

And I gained both a reputation and following.

So much so that earlier this year, when I told a couple friends that I would be interested in moving away from my radio advertising career, I was immediately offered a position doing what I do now.

But I've also learned that I've been lucky in that I probably broke a few rules.

Not on purpose, but by simply doing what nearly all of us do.

Ignore the Fine Print.



Today, the second reason why Social Media Isn't Enough from Robert Flemming, CEO of eMarketingAssociation.com:

2. YOU VIOLATE TERMS CONDITIONS AND RULES: Every social site has rules. Read them, and understand that violations of these TOC’s may lead to your pages, groups etc., being penalized or even banned. WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT – If you invest a lot of time and energy into building your social networks, you certainly don’t want to run into trouble with the hosts of your pages. And things like running contests, logo usage, misdirected web addresses, copyrighted photos (that don’t belong to you), incomplete profile photos or phony ones can trigger an issue with your social media host. Just take the time to read the rules, and apply them.

Yeah right. Just take the time to read the rules, and apply them.

Let's be honest with ourselves. You and I are not going to read the fine print.

Which means we are vulnerable if we are depending on Social Media alone to be our online marketing presence.

If your only online existence is on Facebook, and you violate one of their rules, they can and will shut you down.

I recently met with a friend over a trademark issue over the name of her company and she is getting nowhere with Facebook.

Fortunately, she also has her own website.


The answer?

Get your own website.

Fork over the bucks for a domain, for hosting, for designing and even better... if you are serious about your business, hire a real company with real credentials to guide and direct you.

(Quick plug, This is one of the services my company does, so contact me via email: SHoward@CirrusABS.com or 260.255.4357).

Tomorrow, reason number 3.

ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment