Monday, September 12, 2011

12 Twitter Tips on the 12th


Welcome to the 12th of September.

It's a hard to imagine I started this site over 9 months ago with updates 5 days a week.

And another surprise is coming next month.

In the meantime I have a dozen Twitter Tips and thought starters:

  1. Make sure you fill out your Twitter Profile completely including a link to a site that tells us more about you. Yes, we are going to judge you, we want to see who you are and why we would want to follow you on Twitter.
  2. Include a picture. Of you, not your cat or your car, unless you are a cat or car. The exception is if you are a business, but even there, I prefer to talk to persons, not impersonal businesses.
  3. It's okay to send the same tweet more than once. Those of us that follow more than 200 people don't see all the tweets you send out. When you have more than 2000 like I do, I will likely miss your message due to the volume of tweets I get. And because I have a real job and life offline too.
  4. More on tip 3. Vary that "same tweet". Change a word or two. Send it at different times of the day.
  5. Include an @ScLoHo in your tweet if you want to be sure I get it.
  6. Use the Direct Message feature to talk privately to someone. Works like text messaging.
  7. Include a link if you want me to read or see something.
  8. Don't set up an autofeed of all your tweets to Facebook or LinkedIn. I will update my Facebook page at least once a day with the same message I place on Twitter and i will do the same with LinkedIn. But I select which tweet I want on those other social media channels. And I do it with a strategy in place.
  9. Communicate and converse. I try really hard to respond to everyone that reaches out to me. I also reach out to others and join in their conversations at times. Be Friendly!
  10. Use hashtags. The pound sign # is a way to follow a theme or conversation.
  11. Don't spam me. Twitter has become victim to the same spammers who now send out more than 75% of the emails. I don't fall for those and I will block and report you.
  12. Your universe shouldn't revolve around Twitter. Or any social media channel for that matter. Use it as a tool, but also get face to face. Twitter has changed my life. It wasn't really Twitter that helped me land a new job or created dozens and dozens of new friends the past 3 years. It was me going beyond Twitter. My wife doesn't Tweet. One of my best friends isn't on any social media channel.
What tips would you add to this list?

ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment