Thursday, January 13, 2011

Twitter? Get Real! (Part 4)

Today, we're going to talk about what you need to do to set up your Twitter profile.

(You can click on any of the images and make them BIGGER)

First go here: http://twitter.com/ and click on the sign up button.



That will take you here:



Fill this out and continue and you will get a captcha to make sure you are a real person, and then you will see this page.



You can skip this and click on the Next Step: Friends button on the bottom.



This step I would recommend you NOT skip. Since this is social media and you want to socialize with people, why not start with your friends?

You're going to have to confirm your email address and then sign in and set up your profile.

On the right side of the page, I want you to go to the What's Next section and do Step 2 First.



Pick a nice headshot. And fill out ALL THE INFORMATION.






For me to consider following you, I want a website link that I can click on to see what you're about.

If you don't have your own website, then use your LinkedIn or Facebook page.

Here's an example of a good Twitter Profile page.

Kevin has a link to a website about him, there is info in his bio that gives me an idea of what he is about, and he has a recent picture of himself.



I also look at the number of tweets, how many he is Following and how many Followers he has.

His Following/Followers number is pretty close and he is very active.

A couple of things I look for:

If a person is following a lot more people than are following him, than they are probably not a thought leader. I usually keep my number of people I am following at least 100 less than than are following me. But as you are getting started, you can keep those numbers pretty close.

I also read their latest tweets. Some people are only broadcasting, and not interacting. I interact with anyone who mentions me.

How do I manage following over 800 people and 1300 followers? That's the subject I'll tackle Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment