Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Beyond Facebook


Facebook has its place, but don't believe that Facebook is everything you need to be involved with Social Media.

There are two additional Social Media sites I believe you should be on:

Twitter

and

LinkedIn.

In the days ahead, I'll give you some tips and pointers on these two social media platforms, but first here's why I believe you should be involved with these two platforms.

They are not Facebook.

For the opposite reason that I am on Facebook, I am also on Twitter and LinkedIn.

Why am I on Facebook? Because "everyone" else it on Facebook.

It's where the masses of people are. I can find nearly anyone, from my 80 year old Uncle Bill to my wife's 12 year old grandson.

Facebook is not exclusive, it is inclusive. I use Facebook to find others and to be found.

Twitter and LinkedIn, are much more exclusive. Not because they have certain requirements that keeps people from joining. They have different purposes which people don't always understand.

But like I said, I'll dig into those more in the future.

My primary online presence, my first venture into the social media world, was none of these.

In 2004, I started my first Blog. And it was my blogging that gathered attention. Google loves Blogs. Start a blog and do it right, and you can turn up in search results with Google, Yahoo and Bing.

So, Blogging is another path I'll take you on with this adventure.

And I encourage you to ask questions, make comments, agree, disagree, it's up to you. All I request is that you keep it clean and if you spam, you will be blocked.

Also depending on the time of day, it may be a few hours before I can respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment