Friday, January 7, 2011

Different Focus, Different Readers

We're wrapping up our first week of ScLoHo's Social Media Adventure with a closer look at why I have so many blogs.

First, the blog that gets the most readers, is ScLoHo's Collective Wisdom.

I started this blog in 2005 without a lot of thought or focus. Since then, I set a defined purpose and schedule for this blog and it is now being viewed over 6000 times each month.

Collective Wisdom's purpose is simple and focused...

News, Insight, Research and Training on the Subject of Advertising, Media, Marketing, and Sales. It's a collection from many experts, writers, and gurus, updated at least 3 times daily.

I start with a sales training tip at 6am, 7 days a week.

Monday thru Friday evenings at 6pm, I post Advertising and Marketing News that I receive in a daily email from Mediapost.

Then on most days, I have one mid-day update at noon, or I'll do two updates, one at 10am and another at 2pm. I always have at least 3 updates, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. The majority of the updates are from others. I post information from their emails or blogs with full accreditation, and a link back to the source if it is available.

I'll add my own two cents, but the success of Collective Wisdom is the ability to use the wisdom and resources of others instead of having to write everything myself.

I do have another marketing blog that is entirely my own words but first let's look at my second blog.



This blog was created in 2004 but was dormant for a year as I was deciding what to do with it.

In 2005, I decided to create a personal journal for my friends and family and named it Really?

A couple years later I started branding my blogs with the ScLoHo name and I also started to do some regular features on the Really? blog.

At 6am, 365 days a year, a feature a Fort Wayne site of the day. These are randomly selected websites and blogs that are based in my home town of Fort Wayne Indiana. At 4:08pm, I do an afternoon update of either something personal or something I've found online. Really? has been receiving between 3000 and 3500 views each month.

Now let's look at the other marketing blog that is entirely my own words.



In 2007, my wife thought I should write a book on marketing. Instead I decided to start another blog, The Not-So-Secret Writings of ScLoHo. Each update would be another chapter and it would be never ending.

I publish a new chapter each Tuesday. As a newer blog with a fraction of the number of posts compared to the other two I've mentioned, it also gets less page views, under 1000 a month.

At the end of 2007, I decided to start writing down some of my political thoughts.
This was when there was a lot of heated debate with the upcoming 2008 Presidential campaign in full swing and I have friends and family who would freely express their thoughts.



I decided I wanted my family to understand my perspective and I started the Political Side of ScLoHo on the WordPress blogging platform.

I do not want my political beliefs to be a detriment in any of my business dealings as I have not let my Christian beliefs get in the way of developing friendships with those who have different beliefs. That is why I kept this blog away from the Blogger blogs that I write.

There are two more blogs to mention besides the one you are reading right now.

In 2007 I started a picture blog that is now updated 3 times a month with random photos.

And last year, I found a website that I could use to create a sort-of radio station. My musical tastes are pretty far ranging and I'm in the process of creating a 5000 song ScLoHo Soundtrack in my sparetime. So far I have about 700 songs saved and ready to play.

Next week I'll introduce you to Twitter; we'll include some guest posts and in the weeks ahead, LinkedIn and I'll also give you more details on how I can post 40 to 50 times a week on these blogs.

Your comments, thoughts and questions are always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment