Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Twitter? Get Real! (Part 3)



Yesterday's post was a bit overwhelming for even me, so today, it's back to basics.

As I was researching the topic Twitter Terminology on Google, I found way too much "Geek-Speak" in the articles I was reading so I decided to write this myself:

Twitter Terms:

Twitter. This is the micro-blogging site Twitter.com. It is also used as a verb, "Do you Twitter?" in the same fashion that Google is both a site, a service and a verb.

Tweet. This is the act of sending a message on Twitter. "Did you Tweet that?"

Tweeple. This is one of the "cute" terms for people who are on Twitter. Most of the cute terms that were being used involved removing some letters and replacing them with Tw. Not really necessary.

Following. These are the people You are following. You can read what they tweet.
Followers. These are the people who are following You. They can read what you tweet.

Notice that this is different from the Friends feature on Facebook. You do not automatically follow everyone that follows you.

RT. This is short for ReTweet. One of the ways to share with others is to Retweet what someone you are following tweets so that the people who follow you can read it too.

DM Short for Direct Messaging. This is a private message sent between you and the other person. You have to be following each other in order to do this.

# That is a HashTag. You can tag your tweets by subject and others can look for them. I use the #FortWayne hashtag when I post something about Fort Wayne including my daily Fort Wayne site of the day on my Really Blog.

#FF and #FollowFriday is the most common Hashtag that is used to promote friends that you recommend other follow and it is done on Fridays.

Fail Whale. It happens less frequently than it used to but there are times when Twitter servers are overwhelmed. This shows up on the web page and usually if you wait a few seconds or minutes, everything works again.



Tomorrow I'll review how to set up your Twitter profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment