Monday, April 18, 2011

Should Your Business have a Twitter Account?

First we heard, Facebook is just for kids.

Turns into a 600 million user website. And that's not just kids.

Twitter has had a few detractors too, but for a few days, I've got some guest posts on the subject of Social Media for business use, starting off with this piece from Pat McGraw:

How should your brand be on Twitter?

Posted: 13 Apr 2011 10:52 AM PDT

Twitter Logo by Jon Gossier

Is your business on Twitter? If not, why? And if it is, how have you put your brand on Twitter?

Have you created a ‘corporate account’ or are you putting forth a human face? Are you followers interacting with a logo and a team of employees that respond in the voice of the company – or do you have employees that are content experts representing the company on Twitter?

Social media is supposed to be about conversation and, for me, conversation takes place between people. Now I know Congress says that corporations are people too – but I beg to differ on that, especially when it comes to social media.

I want to talk to people that can help me. And I want to talk to people that I can help. For me, the Zappos approach is appealing because I see the people, interact with the people, and get a sense for the people that make the company what it is – and that impacts whether or not I buy from them.

But the corporate logo/team of people approach works for some companies. They deliver a consistently valuable experience that meets the needs of their audience.

So what works for your company? What approach have you taken and how’s it working for you? What have your key audiences said about your approach to Twitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment