Monday, April 11, 2011

Are You Popular?


It doesn't matter how many Facebook Friends you have...

It doesn't matter how many Twitter Followers you have...

It doesn't matter how many subscribers or readers you have to your blog or email.

Why?

Because there are ways to "jack it up" and make it meaningless.

I was talking with a friend last week who was concerned that she lost some followers and wondered if she offended them.

I did some checking, and didn't see anything unusual but it inspired me to write this today.

Feel free to ignore any advice from me or anyone else.

Use Facebook and Twitter however you want.

Use all of the social media platforms however you want.

This really isn't a popularity contest.

It is a connection tool, a communication tool, a relationship tool.

And now I'm going to contradict myself.

Everything I have said so far applies to personal Twitter and Facebook accounts.

If you are a business, you need friends and followers.

If you are creating your personal brand, you need friends and followers too.

But you want genuine, real friends and followers. And that will take time and effort.

Like all things worthwhile and lasting.

Coming tomorrow, how to manage over 1000+ people on Twitter.

photo of ScLoHo was taken earlier this year by Kevin Mullett at his office.

No comments:

Post a Comment