Friday, April 1, 2011

24 hours of #FF


Right now I'm about half way through 24 hours of #FF.

Time to answer some questions.

What is #FF?

The # is called a HashTag on Twitter. It is a common way to tag a tweet some others can search for it.

#FF has nothing to do with basketball, as in Final Four.

#FF stands for FollowFriday.

FollowFriday is a way to recommend and recognize people that you follow on Twitter.

We used to use #FollowFriday as the hashtag but that's 13 characters instead of 3 and since Twitter limits you to 140, shorter can be better as long as people can understand what you are saying.

I was asked this morning:

@ScLoHo #FortWayne for your 24 hrs of #FF do you stay awake the whole time??

And the answer is:

No, I sleep for about 45 minutes and then tweet another #FF starting at midnight until the last one in the 11pm hour.

I take Fridays off from work because this is so unproductive and it really messes up my sleep schedule for most of the weekend, but by Monday, or Tuesday I can go back to work.

And because today is Friday April 1st, I'm pulling your leg. Welcome to April Fools Day!

Here's how I really do it:

Scheduled Tweets.

Hootsuite and Tweetdeck are a couple of programs you can use to tweet that allow you to schedule tweets.

So last weekend I decided to set up another 24 hours of #FF with a focus on people who live/work in the Fort Wayne area and I scheduled a tweet once an hour. Some Tweets mentioned just one person, most mention 3 or more.

Fridays are usually the busiest day of the week for me so I've discovered that by pre-scheduling #FF, I can participate. I don't do 24 hours of #FF every week which makes it even more special.

That's the truth and I'm sticking with it!

image from shortandtweet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment