Friday, April 8, 2011

Facebook isn't Enough


I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana. We are the 2nd largest city in the state and soon will have the largest public school system.

The past 18 months I have seen a shift in Social Media participation and acceptance in our city. Most of the activity is on Facebook. I believe that is simply due to the momentum that was building and the exposure that the movie The Social Network gave Facebook.

Next month I'll be doing a presentation on Social Media Networking Beyond Facebook. The focus will be creating a Personal Brand, and using other platforms such as blogs and Twitter.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

By creating a site that is not Facebook, you have more control of the content and customization.

You can still use Facebook, but use it as a communication tool to draw people to your site. That's one of the ways I use Facebook and Twitter and it works. As of last Sunday when I checked the stats on my sites, there were 14,220 visits in the past 4 weeks. That's an increase from around 10,000 views per month in January.

The primary reason for this is using Twitter and Facebook to promote, with links, to content on one of my sites.

More details coming, or contact me if you want to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment