Monday, August 15, 2011

The Worry Free Social Media Life


Pardon the bit of rambling as I gather my thoughts...

Last week was a whirlwind and so will this week in my life but for different reasons.

I had 2 1/2 days to do my usual work for Cirrus ABS, which included an excellent Manufacturers Symposium that we co-hosted on Wednesday.

Thursday started with a 4am alarm to spend the day in Fishers, Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis as Cirrus ABS was one of the sponsors of the two day event Blog Indiana 2011.

I was only able to personally attend the first day, due to devoting Friday, Saturday and Sunday to the weekend wedding of my daughter Abby.

In the days and weeks ahead, I'll share some of the lessons learned both at Blog Indiana, and from the weekend, but one thing that I wanted to share today is the power of living a worry free social media life.

Granted, my job is not dependent on being connected 24/7, but there are plenty of folks who are taken back by the amount of social media activity I produce.

40+ blog posts every week, has been my habit for the past few years including weekends, holidays, and days that I don't turn on the computer.

Daily updates on Facebook and LinkedIn. And a few updates on Google+ each week.

Twitter however is my main social media communication tool. Even when I'm not online, I have 6 tweets a day that are automatic since they are links to blog posts as they appear online.

"Normal days" I tweet 25 to 40 times a day from my laptop due to conversations that I'm having.

Confession time: I used to be a little worried that if I did less blog updates or Twitter updates that it would matter. I don't worry about that anymore.

Everyday I get an update from TwUnfollow.com in my email which shows me who has unfollowed me in the past 24 hours. Today there were 16, some days there are 4 or 5.

It doesn't matter.

Most of those are people who I don't follow, or spammers.

Every once in awhile there may be a person who stops following that make me wonder why, but each of us have our own interests and the key is not to take it personally.

Besides, despite the number of Twitter followers I lose each day, if I wanted to keep score, I would see that the net number of followers is growing, recently surpassing the 2500 mark.

And at the heart of it all, is why I am doing it in the first place, to build relationships, not to keep score.

What part of social media do you worry about?

ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment