Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Fort Wayne Twitter Story


Over the weekend I checked out a site that seems to be reasonably accurate at tracking your Twitter stats: http://twopcharts.com/index.php and after looking back at some of the numbers, it inspired me to share with you a few observations from the Twitterverse.

(Fort Wayne, Indiana is the 2nd largest city in Indiana, behind our state capitol, Indianapolis.)


I don't recall what prompted me, or who prompted me to join Twitter, but I did in October 2008.

In early 2009, I was one of 4 folks who attended a Tweet-up at Club Soda. One of the 4 of us was a client of mine and I invited him to join us that evening.


We had a few more that year, but Twitter was not a mainstream social media channel in Fort Wayne, yet.

In 2010, a few people organized and began hosting a Social Media Breakfast which started out with a decent turn out, but at the last one, which I didn't attend, there was one person who showed up.

The problem wasn't that social media was failing, it was that people using social media were failing to use social media.

Big difference.

At the end of 2010, the Social Media Breakfast baton was handed to Kevin Mullett who is active on Twitter and dozens of other Social Media Channels.

The growth has been phenomenal for the Social Media Breakfast Fort Wayne and Tweet-Up style events.

I don't have all the numbers handy but in January 2011, it was over 40 who attended, it has been growing. Even during the summer months we have had over 70 pre-register and nearly the same number attend the monthly breakfast.

I've attended a few social media events in Indianapolis and our attendance figures now beats theirs.

I hesitate to use the Tweet-Up term, only because in reality, many of the events that are occurring now are attended primarily by Tweeps, but it's not exclusively Twitter folks.

And Twitter has become mainstream as a way of life. No, there is no secret handshake, but it is the preferred social media tool for a lot of us for short form communication.

Along with the Social Media Breakfast Fort Wayne event, free, last Tuesday of the month, every month, Amber Recker of Cancer Services of Northeast Indiana has launched a monthly Social Media lunch which was just going to be a summer series and now will continue as long as there is interest.

Amber's event costs $10 and is used as a fundraiser for the organization. Details = http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1816524273/eorg

The last Tweet-Up I attended was organized by a couple of ladies in town who are also active on Twitter, and there are many other specialized Tweet-Ups going on around town.

That's what happens when you treat Twitter as a part of your life, you form relationships that lead to face to face relationships with common bonds.

And with that in mind...

Here's an invitation for you to join a couple of my co-workers and several of my Twitter friends for the first ever Fort Wayne Karaoke Tweet-Up Saturday evening. I won't be there as it is the wedding day for my daughter Abby but you are welcome to show up.

Details are right here: http://fwkaraoketweetup.eventbrite.com/Link



ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment