Thursday, August 18, 2011

Measuring Your Social Media Influence


I admit, I'm more of a doer than a measurer, when it comes to social media.

And the reason is my original intent.

I started blogging as a way to express myself, share some stuff and a blog was a good way to do that.

I started using Twitter nearly 3 years ago as a communication tool.

Same thing with Facebook.

LinkedIn was like an online resume until I started posting daily updates.

None of these intentions were designed to be famous and influential.

And yet, somehow due to my level of activity, quality of content, interaction with others, and my sense of humor, I started getting a following online.

Basically, I'm the same person online as I am face to face.

Recently I was invited by Lorraine Ball, the owner of RoundPeg to participate in a discussion on Klout, which has become the prime measurement of your social media influence.

I was honored to be one of the 5 participants which also included Allison Carter of RoundPeg, Randy Clark of TKO Graphix, Kevin Mullett, my co-worker at Cirrus ABS, myself, Scott Howard and our host Lorraine. The 30 minute live program aired on BlogTalkRadio and I've included the edited version below.


If you haven't registered with Klout yet, please click here.

While Klout is one way to measure, especially if you dig into the details of what it says about you and not just the big overall number, I prefer how my social media influence carries into offline relationships.

I have met dozens of wonderful people thru Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN and my blogs and there have been several life changing moments due to those relationships.

A recent example was being invited to promote the 2011 Fort Wayne Museum of Art Trolley Tour along with a few others who were hand picked to be influential in Fort Wayne Social Media, which I'll gladly do on my Really? website soon.

That's how I measure, how about you?

Listen to the podcast here:







ScLoHo is Scott Howard, a Solutions Consultant with Cirrus ABS.

You can contact him here:

No comments:

Post a Comment