Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mixing Personal with Business on Twitter


Last Thursday I laid out the case for having more than one website if you have more than one focus or product line.

And a few weeks ago I had a discussion with a couple of friends about the pros and cons of separate Twitter Profiles.

Let me begin with a quote from Seth Godin:

Marketing to nobody

Nobody wears a watch any more.

Nobody wears a tie either.

Nobody shops at a bookstore, at least nobody I know.

The market of nobody is big indeed. You can do really well selling to nobody if you do your homework. In fact, most companies selling to nobody outperform those that are trying to sell to everyone.


I believe the Twitter debate is not as simple as what Seth says.


Your Twitter voice should reflect the Twitter profile you have created for that Twitter account.

I have a friend who is a photographer and I believe that due to the intimate and personal experience you form with a professional photographer, people want to know her beyond her finished work. So when she tweets about her personal life, she is inviting her clients and potential clients to form a stronger bond with her which is better than a cold and impersonal relationship.

On the other hand, I follow CBS News on Twitter and don't care about the personal life of whoever is tweeting on behalf of CBS News.

The CBS News Twitter account is focused on News, which is why I follow it.


What are your thoughts?


2 comments:

  1. I know someone that keeps their personal and their hobby accounts as two different personas, mostly because she didn't want to bore her non-hobby friends with hobby related tweets.
    It's funny but also scary when "they" talk to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kent.

    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it all depends on the individuals circumstances.

    ReplyDelete