Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Serious Tweep (Part 6)


Time for some more basics.

First of all, my advice is to not use Twitter.com to tweet.

Twitter.com has many limitations that are overcome by using some of the other software applications.

Favorites include:

Hootsuite

Seesmic

and Tweetdeck.

I have used the last two and have never really been a big Hootsuite fan, due to the fact that most of the features I want are free with Tweetdeck and I'd have to pay an upgrade fee to use them with Hootsuite.

Check and compare.

I do use Twitter.com to do some organization like build my lists, and check Twitter profiles, but when I'm tweeting, I'm using Tweetdeck.

The current version of Tweetdeck allows you to post to multiple social media account at the same time. Everyday I post on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter. I only have to write it once, and then I can select which account I post it to.

Tweetdeck also allows me to schedule updates on all of these social media accounts.

Yesterday I checked out another service called Postling at Postling.com . My initial reaction was I don't like it. They want my money to do stuff that I am able to do already on Tweetdeck without it costing me anything. Yes they have a free option, but it is limited, more limited than Tweetdeck.

About once a month, I will do 24 hours of #FF or #FollowFriday. Once an hour I tweet a #FF recommendation. The only way to do this, at least for me is to pre-schedule them.

I also don't want to overwhelm my followers with too many tweets in a short period of time. Sometimes I'll schedule a tweet or RT for a later time.

One other basic about Twitter. As a Serious Tweep, I want to be able to respond when someone mentions me. Last summer I bought a droid phone which has enabled me to tweet when I'm away from my computer.

Currently I use a program called Tweetcaster on my droid and I have the audio settings to alert me when I get a direct message or a mention. I can check and respond if it is necessary.

What do you use to manage your social media?

No comments:

Post a Comment